ECHOcommunity Conversations

Human manure in my garden

Good morning to you all,my name is Faith and I love farming so I have a question (*disgusting of course but I need to know)…about all these abandoned pit toilets *( humanure) if it’s healthy to dig it up and feed crops like maize,songhurm, and of course vegetables :grinning:,herbs and many more…?
Thank you.

After al least a year it should be fine.

Ok,thank you.So this one had been abandoned for at least 10-15 ,so is the manure still effective on plants or maybe it’s already weak and useless?

After that length of time, it’s probably not worth the effort.
Are you familiar with arboroloo?
https://sswm.info/factsheet/arborloo
Plant trees into a filled in shallow latrine hole.
If you can separate urine, you can use it directly as a fertilizer on maize. It contains most of the nutrients that humans excrete.

Thank you,highly appreciated…there’s so much to learn there …

Generally with animal manures one month of time is considered safe. Human should be about the same but everyone errors on the side of safety and this is a subject that no-one likes to touch due to the ramifications which can be life and death. What I would do is give it a month or more and put it in the bottom of a planting hole or better yet in the bottom of a planting hole of a crop that is long in maturing. But in your case it has been many years so use it. I like decomposed organic matter on top of my seeds so that is a top rate use for it for your product which is very old. Human urine is great. I use it continuously. I put my raincoat on when it starts to rain and grab the urine straight and put a little bit at the base of every plant in the garden except those recently transplanted and also am sensitive to small size which gets less. You will see amazing results, particularly with sweet or bell peppers which like regular fertilizer, maize, all cucurbits or pumpkin family and particularly cucumbers, cabbage family and most greens are all heavy feeders and love fertilizer. The rain washes the smell away, dilutes it and spreads it to the full root zone and only got burn once and was very slight when the rain stopped abruptly. A 1/4 teaspoon per plant is good until you get familiar with the process, the size of the plant, the soil type (sandy apply less more often and the rain will wash it out unless it is almost finished raining) and you may be able to do more depending on the plant and whether or not you circle the base of the plant and at what distance you circle the plant with the urine when applying. Green plants or weeds can go in the planting hole or planting trench (direct seeded in a line crops) as fertilizer if you prepare them sufficiently in advance for composting in place (in-situ) or you only add a little no more than a half inch thick so it does not heat up. If you use brown materials add as much as you want if you are using urine because the urine will help it keep balanced and keep both the crop and the microbes happy. If you don’t use the urine or some other high nitrogen fertilizer the brown materials will cause unnecessary competition for the nitrogen in the soil.

Thank you Daniel

Yes, it’s a topic that no one enjoys but I do agree with you I’ll try to use the urine, in fact my soil has been weakened by granule fertilisers and a lot of villagers lost their cattle due to a disease no one knows ,the just cattle go blind and they die, if they are rained you simply see smoke coming out of them standing at one spot and they die so this left us with no animal manure and the pit toilet idea just triggered in my mind but I admire your facts so

Plants are fertilizer because they have collected the nutrients from the soil that they needed for growth and concentrated them. They break down and form humus which has a great ability to retain both nutrients and water and allow excessive water to drain. You can add them as green as long as you don’t add over an inch thick in the planting hole without allowing to compost first since thicker layers will create heat. Brown materials do well when urine is later added. I can not imagine what would cause all those things to happen to cattle.