Community Gardening Best Practices

Greetings! I am the new community garden intern at ECHO Florida! I am super excited to learn more about community gardens, but before I really make changes in our demonstration area here in Fort Myers, I would love to hear from the community about what community gardening practices are working well!

I am interested in making our garden here more productive, with higher yield on the same amount of space. What practices are worth demonstrating here for consulting and educational purposes?

2 Likes

Hi Sarah, welcome to ECHO, I am Bonnie Jean Clancy an ECHO docent and I work with community gardens in Fort Myers; would love to sit down and talk.
Lauren has done a Wonderful job with the community garden site in her internship; I especially like the sensory garden which inspires kids and the colorful signs. Let’s get together

Hello Sarah,
I work with Hope United in developing a small garden at La Mer Frappee, Haiti that helps with the feeding program for the school children and staff. On my last visit to La Mer Frappee I did a soil test and found that the pH is off the chart too high. Some crops tolerate the high pH, okra, epinards, beans. In the absence of sulphur, I have recommended using a lot of compost. I think this will work but I have not yet gotten everyone involved on board.
I think in general, the use of a lot of compost added to the soil will increase vegetable production. I am interested to hear what you find out.
Jim Weber

1 Like