ECHOcommunity Conversations

Farm Irrigation question from Haiti

Farm irrigation - May2016
I am working with a small farm in Leogane and looking for a supplier for irrigation supplies, agricultural water pump for irrigation, and a company to install the pump and pump house. Any advice? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m trying to get people to consider using a low cost 12v pump with a solar panel.
Far cheaper than the usual hand pump installation.

More info if you email biodesigndiy@gmail. com

Graham K

0 Likes

Hey Graham,

Is that the nemo solar pump? http://nemosolar.com/dcsubmersiblepumps/

I installed one a couple years ago on a farm in Haiti and had a bad experience. Maybe it was a mistake on our end, but it kept clogging with clay and only pushed a small amount of water out of the well each day. We ended up aborting and using an electric pump.

If you have had success, I would be interested to know how much water it moves. Maybe you can share some more details here, before we move to emailing, to benefit others.

Thanks,
Roger

0 Likes

Hi Roger,

This nemo solar pump of yours cannot lift water more than a few meters, I suspect?
But more importantly any pump needs a strainer/filter to prevent clogging of the inlet!

The $15, 12v pump I’m pushing is an industrial diaphragm type that will lift water 100m + with a flow of 5l/min.
Perhaps a small flow but it can keep filling a surface tank all day long. And you can afford more than one pump!

I have supplied this pump to two colleagues but so far they have not done tests.
Pdfs available.

Graham K

1 Like

Thanks Graham,

For some reason I was not notified of your response. Just reading now.

As for the nemo, I forget the specs, but the manufacturer felt it should easily draw water from the well I was using, which was over 10 meters deep and send it horizontally 100’s of meters. But the flow would also be limited. I realized even if I got it working, it would not be enough for the land I was irrigating. It did have a basic filter over the inlet, which might not have been enough for the clay soaked water.

Anyways, I felt like that pump held some promise, in certain situations, and that I didn’t get to fully troubleshoot it. We had to move on to other projects.

Also, I recently saw an ad for a company in Kenya that installs solar pumps for farm irrigation for $500. I doubt that includes the cost of the water tank. I forget the exact flow rate, but it was much higher than the nemo. Like 3000 liters/day. It didn’t mention how deep the pump could draw from or other details. Wish I would have saved their info. But I think this is a similar company:

For a price like that, it could be a real solution in Haiti too!

0 Likes