Growing Turmeric

Hello,
I have been trying to grow Turmeric and ginger. In the same soil and conditions the ginger is doing great, but i can’t seem to get the turmeric going. It’s been in the pot a couple of months, hasn’t rotted or anything, just will not sprout. Any suggestions?

From Lydia, ECHO’s propagation manager

http://www.spices.res.in/sites/default/files/Extension%20Pamphlets/turmeric.pdf

Tumeric responds to soil temperature. Depending on where you are located, it just might still be a little too cold.
We recently planted our turmeric and even though it’s been in the upper 80’s F it’s still not quite hot enough for it to sprout yet.

1 Like

My tumeric in pots has not come up but in ground started just this week in central florida

1 Like

Thank you Dan. My file turmeric was also in pots. It had been growing in the ground at near the compost pile at a national friend’s home. What kind of soil has your turmeric been successfully growing in?
Thanks,
Brian

Thank you. I wouldn’t think that being too cool is a problem here in Cote d’Ivoire. But i am looking forward to reading the document you provided! Peace.
Brian

1 Like

in subtropics, turmeric dies back in winter and doesn’t re-sprout until may/june. best to harvest when it starts dying back in fall (root stays alive). be sure to harvest the tubers and re-plant the core root for the next season.

Thanks, I am at about 6.5 degrees north, so very much in the tropics, but i did just get turmeric sprouting that has been in a pot since the new year. So maybe that hold even a little here?