How to control or treat soil born disease in my green pepper garden

I have always planted green pepper in the soil pH of 6 but after one month,my green pepper begins wilting and I was told that is soil born disease, how can I treat this

1 Like

You will need crop rotation. That is likely Fusarium disease. You can cut open the stem and if you see some black or brown discoloring in the vascular tissue which is more in the center of the stem then you will know that it is Fusarium Wilt. It often infects where you have other Solanaceous crops or weeds such as tomato, pepper, eggplant, potato, cape gooseberry/ground cherry (has a papery husk or covering over the fruit)–common weed, sodom apple weed, nightshade, tobacco, etc. growing there in the past. You will need to eliminate the weeds of this type several years in advance (rouge them out consistently every year as young as possible). These crops and weeds are the host of the disease. You can also get the disease from your water if you are downstream from other gardens/farms in the irrigation you do or if the water flows across a contaminated area. The disease will stay in the soil up to 10 years and is worse in wetter areas where it proliferated.

I wanted to add more… It spreads faster in wetter areas. Part of that may be due to plants being weaker and more susceptible when they can not get air in much of the root zone. You also need to practice sanitation which means no walking or weeding or pulling of plants or weeds from that part. Just leave that area alone or you will move the disease around. So you have to find a new place to plant your solonaceous or tomato family crops and rotate them. You may email me at janzen200@yahoo.com if you have questions.