Identify legume in Cambodia

Hi,
Can anyone identify this legume that I saw growing beside the road in Poi Pet, Cambodia near the border with Thailand. It look similiar to Leucaena but is a small bush up to 1m tall not like leucaena which grows as a small tree.
Thanks,
Don

Hi Don! I researched a bit and am not 100% sure, but it looks similar to Desmanthus virgatus. A great forage.
Maybe it’s a different species though. Anyway, don’t quote me on it being that. I am interested to see what you find out! If you could get a close up of the flowers and buds, that might help.

Blessings,

Holly

1 Like

It could also be sesbania sesbans - known in cambodia as snaô kôôk. It is also a great forage, green mulch etc.

Hi Holly,
Thanks it certainly does look like Desmanthus virgatus. I have attached a higher resolution photo so you can see the flowers and pods.
Regards,
Don

I wonder if this is a big version of ‘sensitive plant’, the one that closes its leaves when touched. You didn’t mention it having thorns, and if not, then it is probably not sensitive plant. I’ve seen it in Ubon Ratchathani Province, in Thailand, not so far from the border with Cambodia. It’s a bear to eradicate, and the thorns make it super unpleasant to have around.

Don,

Yes, definitely looks like Desmanthus virgatus.

Troy, the sensitive plant is Mimosa strigillosa and is a low growing ground cover with pink puffy flowers. I agree, the thorns can be nasty!

Holly

Hi Holly,

Thanks for your comments. The plant doesn’t have thorns or close its leaves so I am sure it is not a sensitive plant.

Regards,

Don

Holly,
While sensitive plant is mainly a very low lying plant, there is something called ‘giant sensitive tree’. Wikipedia cites a book that says it can grow up to 6 meters tall!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_pigra