Jab planter/peanut remover plans/pearl millet sorghum thresher

I’m looking for some plans for a Jab planter. I’m looking for the jab and squeeze type, like what can be found from Johnny’s seed co. As well as the jab and drop a seed type. (Hopefully that description is clear)

I would also like plans for a small scale peanut pod remover. Right now in my village, the people remove the peanuts from the plants by hitting them with a small stick. (I think it’s kind of fun, but not when you do it for two weeks straight).

I’ve also found some plans for a threshing machine at A Home Built Threshing Machine for Smallholders | PPT and I’m wondering if this would work with pearl millet and sorghum.

I was mistaken about the johnnys seed planter. I’m looking for something more like the Stand n plant or the fao jab planter.

Seeder This could give you an idea since it is of simple pvc pipe construction but it might be patented so you may have to borrow ideas but make something original.

Hey did you get anywhere with finding a peanut remover and or sorghum or millet threshers?

Please let me know if you do - they are of interest to me.

I looked up designs and considered making a peanut remover this year - and might well in the future. Let me know if you’ve already made one so I can learn from you what worked and what didn’t and save myself some trouble!

How’d you go with your jab planter?

Have you used push seeders much? I’m a fan of them myself and planted a few hectares with one I got in Eastern Europe - I think they are made in Russia or Ukraine. It doesn’t meter the seed but I really like it and I have 3 people here in West Africa wanting to use it next season when I’ll be away I hope to find the time to replicate it for them.

I could imagine a jab planter being useful on hillsides or in situations with heaps of trees or such though.

Hey Jared, that home built thresher you shared the link for … that is awesome by the way. Thanks for sharing that.

Hi Dave,

I’ve got an engineer friend modifying the thresher for me. We’ll see what we finally come out with. I’m hoping to have a prototype before the harvest in October.
For the jab planter, I’m thinking about modifying what Dan Janzen posted. This next year, I won’t be able to demonstrate conservation ag very well as I’ll have rented land, but if I find land in the future and manage to establish a good mulch layer. I’d do something like the stand n plant.
There was another post a little while back about using jab planters to increase accessibility. They had some good ideas.
The push seeders are pretty cool, but I don’t want to import anything if possible.
Which country are you in?