Maize Crop Not Successful

Kenya farmers planted hybrid seed DH04 in northern Turkana region.

The germination was very good (98%). During planting the farmers used DAP. The farmers did top dress their maize at the age of thirty days almost past knee height.

When the maize had developed six leaves, the first attack of fall army worms occurred.

When the maize was at knee height, they had a second attack by fall army worms again.

Lastly when the maize was about to start tussling, they had another attack of fall army worms.

During all these attacks, the farmers applied pesticide to control the worms which was very effective and they could see the result immediately. During pesticide application the farmers were using.

Pesticide – Ambligo (10ml in 20ltrs)
Sticker- Integra (4ml in 20ltrs)
Folia-Algreen (30ml in 20ltrs)

At harvest most of the maize cobs had wide space, rotten in some parts and the size was small once leaves removed. See photos.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Maize 1

Maize 3

1 Like

@Allan_Hruska, would you be willing to speak into what effect fall armyworm may have had on the crop given the photos?

@Rod_Sebastian do you have thoughts about the grain filling issue from the third photo? Or the tip fill issues?

Nous sommes prêts à apporter notre modeste contribution, ce même fait je l’ai observé pendant mon experimentation en RDC. Un article est en préparation pour évaluer l’incidence de chenille légionnaire sur les épis.

The tip back issue is often associated with drought or at least dry weather during grain fill. At times of droughty weather maize kernels abort beginning at the tip of the ear. The amount of tip back reflects the severity of the dry weather.

Three infestations as described suggests to me there is an excess of nitrogen in the soil giving excess soft leafy growth, plants stressed and army worms attracted to stressed plants.

A side issue I checked up MSDS on the pesticide as I am unfamiliar with it (extract below). Operator of the mister was underprotected as they were not wearing a respirator.

SECTION 2: Hazards identification
2.1 Classification of the substance or mixture
Classification (REGULATION (EC) No 1272/2008)
Acute toxicity, Category 4 H302: Harmful if swallowed.
Acute toxicity, Category 4 H332: Harmful if inhaled.

From my experience as maize farmer, your pesticide application methods are completely wrong in handling army worms…type and class of insecticides used are also wrong…in my honest opinion, you are trying to spray and kill army worms with ways equivalent of you trying to spray mosquitoes with baygon…you will never win