My moringas are dying

I have two in the backyard doing fine… i plantes four out here and i am wondering if the contaminated ground from before i lived here is killing them. I am quite aure roundup was used on the fence line. Also there is this big bleach spot on the driveway that leads directly to the rain flow theu the moringas!

Hi Julie!

Thanks for sharing photos of your moringa! Are you located in SW Florida? It is typical for moringa to struggle or even die during the wettest time of the year (right now) because the species does not like water-logged soils. Lower leaves will often turn yellow and then fall off. Most of the time, the trees can bounce back once the soil dries out again.

As long as the trees did not get drift from the glyphosate (roundup) when it was applied, it should not hinder the growth of the moringa. Herbicide burn usually causes browning of the leaf where drift hit the leaf or from the leaf tip to the leaf interior (depending on the herbicide).

Thanknypu so much for responding… i am in central florida . The soil here is sand so i just didnt think overwatering was an issue… or wet soil. Also thetwo trees in the back yard are fine. I was thinking something is leexhing throughrain run off. Today i am going tfo relocate the smallest one to see if it will bounce back. I would put it with the others in the raised bed. What do you think?

1 Like

Would be curious if you share results from nutrient soil testing both plant available and elemental tests if the budget allows. Some foliage and sap analysis as well would really help.

Ours struggle in our location (equatorial high jungle). My theory is due to the subsoil aluminum saturation we have here on site, but also general leaching of nutrients, the soil being deficient in nearly all plant essential elements. All the claims about Moring being X number of times higher that this that or the other fruit/vegetable in terms of calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, etc…The Moringa plant must get those high levels of nutrients from the soil. I think that’s why they generally do better in semi-arid regions, because soils have higher mineral content/ less leached generally speaking.

I have a friend with a soil sampling meter! I can do that! Ill Get baxk to you soon…