Hi Liz, I had a similar issue with our research Farm near Seattle WA. (BTW, I’m looking for people in Jamaica to work with, would love to chat sometime)
Anyhow, the main thing we found is improper chemical composition of the soil, which causes the clay to bind up. Solving that issue organically takes a long time, 3-6 years based on what we experienced, due to getting the material soil integrated around perennials. We tried some liquid lime products which helped, and some other non organic soil conditioners to reduce the electrical bond. Which BTW is also very helpful in getting the organic matter to infiltrate the clay. Working with organic hop and fruit farmers with thousands of acres of plants, we found sometimes getting to the organic sweet spot faster and with less pollution actually called for some upfront non organic treatments. I was not thrilled about it, but the actual affect if using nontoxic products is that we achieved better results faster in flipping soil into organic production. In the long run it was actually more"organic" because far less transporting materials, work, etc. Used in combination with the right plants and some good 2’ deep fork work, might be the ticket for you. Try sending your soil samples off to a liquid liming/potash company and see what they recommend to loose that clay, and try about 50SF to test the product with a sample bottle. If you find a solution that way it will only take a year or so to get air and drainage back so roots can form.