Pilot Project Syntropic Coffee

Hello Community
I run a finca in the center of Colombia at an altitude of 1500m. We grow coffee and platano. In this region we grow almost everything according to the specifications of the agro-industry, so we use a lot of chemicals.
We are now going to change our finca according to the principles of Syntropic Farming. The project is intended to serve as an example and incentive for small farmers to apply the syntropic farming principle.

Who in Colombia has already had experience of this? Who would like to participate in the project or could advise us?

Un abrazo Daniel Seidenberg

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

2 Likes

we’re not in Columbia we are in Nepal but very interested to hear your experience & story of trnsitioning to syntrropic farming - is there a link to more information? Thanks

Hi Daniel!
Would you make the change from “agro-industrial” practices to syntropics from one year to the next or have you carried out (or planned) a transition period?
It may be preferable to gradually reduce the use of chemical inputs to facilitate adaptation to the new cultivation method and avoid a brutal shock for the plants. This will ensure more stable production during your transition.
Feel free to share more info, we’ll be happy to help!

1 Like

HI Daniel,

Shifting to syntropic for coffee production is a good idea. Brazils winning coffee was syntropic recently. As you are probably aware, Ernst Gotsch’s website has a lot of materials on syntropic coffee. I am working in Malawi, Africa, as well as in Central America in agroforestry. Switching to all organic is possible. I would suggest increased inputs at the beginning with composts, Johnson-su, vermiculture, and then over time rely more on N-fixing trees and biomass trees that are heavily coppiced.
Tom

2 Likes

We’re in Marcala, Honduras at 1400 m. Commercially growing coffee, mostly Bourbon and Maragogipe. We have some new plantings of Catuai and, most recently, Geisha. All under shade. It’s been about 10 years since leaving all pesticides, but we use fertilizer and that is mostly mixed with earthworm casts. Since the outbreak of roya, we have been regulating our shade. We are controlling la Broca with Beuavaria. We use fertilizer, mixed ½ with earthworm castings. Some coop members are using composts at up to 2/3 as fertilizer prices rise and earthworm castings become limited. Please let me know some more details about what syntropic agroforestry for coffee means to you and if these experiences are helpful.
Beto

Hi Kevin
Yes, I heard this councel from other side as well. Coffee farmer told me, that organic fertilized coffee plants look beautiful but do not produce much. Another one told me the same but doesnt care, says hes more interested in the quality (speciality coffee). I could imagine that the amount of production in a organic/syntroic system may depend much on the species you cultivate.

We are reducing coffee but will increase Plantains and plant more fruit trees as well.

What experience do you have? Happy to hear more practical experience

Hi Tom

thanks for your input
distributing compost or vermicultulture on a 7 ha pretty steep slope is a heavy job and seems not a option realistic to me.

Hi Beto
The description of your farm sounds interesting.
How big is your farm? Do you have a syntropic system and since when?
I have great concerns when I think about spreading organic compost on the 7 hectares with steep slopes. That means carrying tons of material in 50 kg bags. That doesn’t seem feasible to me.

Greetings. If you haven’t already found someone to help you, I know a syntropic ag trainer from Brazil who travels all over the globe. I would be happy to put you in touch with him if you are interested.

Blessings,

Jeff