Preservation of fruit juice

Mango juice,

Mango season is over, but I filled some one-and-a- half liters Coca-Cola bottles with mango juice.
Washed, peeled, added fresh rain water and heated the juice up to boiling.
Put the juice in the refrigerator where it retains color.
However when drinking there is a sensation of bubbles.
The juice is slightly carbonated?
Doesn’t boiling kill yeast?

Passion fruit and cane juice,
Passion fruit mixed with cane juice, heated the juice to boiling and preserved in one-and-a- half liters Coca-Cola bottles. Put the juice in the refrigerator where it retains the color of Fanta (by Coca-Cola).
However when drinking there is a sensation of bubbles, actually it tastes like Fanta.
The juice is thoroughly carbonated?
Doesn’t boiling kill yeast?

2 Likes

Dear @Hans_Majong,

Apparently, there are heat resistant molds that can tolerate high temperatures. For example, in this article, “Emerging Preservation Techniques for Controlling Spoilage and Pathogenic Microorganisms in Fruit Juices,” I read that Talaromyces flavus was found to tolerate 100°C for 5 to 12 minutes in many fruit syrups.

This literature review, “Thermal Treatments for Fruit and Vegetable Juices and Beverages,” recommends to process mango nectar at 100°C for 10 minutes for the conventional high temperature-long time (HTLT) treatment.

My recommendation would be that aside from washing/sanitizing the fruit to also make sure all utensils, equipment, bottles, etc. are well cleaned/sanitized. Unfortunately, the high temperatures kill some of the nutrients too, so you’d need to find the right type of treatment for each type of juice that would balance quality and safety.

I hope this is helpful in answering your questions.

Kind regards,

Cecilia

You may find some additional helpful information in this collection.

Thank you for your time and help.