Subtropical Fruit

Does anyone know if it is possible to get either Cambodian Grapes (Ampelocissus martini) and / or Capulin Cherries ((Prunus salicifolia) in the United States (and hopefully the state of Florida specifically)? These both seem like they might do well in the climate here, but seem to be lesser known.

1 Like

@Josh_Jamison, do you know of a source?

Never heard of the first one.

As for Capulin (Prunus salicifolia)… I’ve been interested in this tree since reading about it in Florida’s Best Fruiting Plants and the Lost Crops of the Incas Series. At multiple points I’ve had seedlings that did not thrive, which very well may have been issues not related to the tree’s overall ability to grow here. I remember one seedling have a persistent wilt that I associate with nematode infestation. Some literature now considers this a domesticated form of Prunus serotina, which grows as a wild tree on my farm. My plan is to stump some P. serotina and topwork into the resprouts with Capulin budwood.

I have never encountered a fruiting tree in Florida or even heard of anyone having one, which really calls into question the enthusiastic chapter in Florida’s Best Fruiting Plants chapter. There are people in California with improved cultivars, which they are regard as low quality cherries (these people are in cherry country and may be cherry snobs). Recently a place called Fruitwood Nursery starting offering shipped budwood and seedlings. This is probably the easiest place to start with.

At this moment I consider this fruit a maybe for Florida with the improved cultivars originating in South American highlands, not hot humid lowlands. It is worth trying different sources of budwood and seedlings to try to find an adapted cultivar.

Ampelocissus martini

Plant source:

seed source (currently out of stock - sign up for email when available):

Prunus salicifolia

Seeds:

https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/capulin-cherry.htm

cuttings:

crazy expensive plant:

growing:

https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/Pages/prusal/prusal.shtml

Thank you all very much!

By any chance, have you ever bought anything from the Mantrafoods.shop website? Since I had never heard of them before, I waited to order until I had a chance to at least do an internet search, and I didn’t see anything negative. But when I tried to order it said my card is not supported and suggested I contact the issuer, which has me worried since I know that it is worried since I used it yesterday and just checked that the account balance… though I suppose it is possible they literally only accept credit cards and not debit? I am still grateful for the links, and asking this to get a better idea and to let others know just in case, not because I am trying to cause problems for anyone - already setting things in motion with my bank to watch my account just in case. But I was hoping you might know if it is likely just a computer glitch somewhere.
Thank you for your time.
John

Nope. Never bought from them. Caveat emptor!

Thanks for the feedback!