Tape tool for agroecology assessment

Dear All, I am researching on the Assessment of climate change vulnerability and adaptation strategies using agroecological principles as tools for assessment. Actually finding its difficult to develop an elaborated methodology for this study. Please have anyone carried out such a research. I need help

Perhaps you could explain more about what you are trying to assess and why and some of us could help you. If I knew more I could make an attempt to help you or maybe I would just tell you that there are those more qualified than I depending on what you need.

Nsobih Marie
Thank Dan Janzen for the respond. Actually i am researching on the vulnerability and adaptation strategies to climate change in rural communities using agroecological principles as tools for this assessment. I have come across some articles with very brief analysis but as a PhD research i need an appropriate econometric or other data analysis tools. Once again thank you

I am not sure if I will be of help or not. Based on my experience I think I might be able to help you sort out some parameters. I personally divide things up into productive and service functions. I have a PowerPoint slide that I have developed that might help, not sure. I look at diffused shade from agroforestry trees or from intercropping or from trellising or canopy manipulation, mulch materials, material in the planting hole, manure or urine or wood ash/charcoal fines or leaf litter from agroforestry trees, previous crop residue, nitrogen fixation, deep soil mining, root sloughing off from above ground pruning, then there is root pruning, or sprayed weeds which if sufficiently covering the surface have mulching effects but some agroecologists depending on their biases might not want that included. Then there are all the forms of water harvesting and soil shaping affecting soil moisture content and of course irrigation systems. Then there are basic principles of differential use of resources above and to some extent below ground, companion compensation effects, relay cropping, diffused structured shade as principles of intercropping efficiency. Is any of this helpful? These all are important parameters of what is considered climate or just weather or natural cycles. I would argue climate resilience should be thought of as application of best management practices. I don’t think plants adapt much but we change our best management practices to align with the climate norm and then also put in place various strategies to hedge against climate extremes and associated risk depending on how risk adverse we need to be. Things to measure would seem to be yield and income from any combination of the above strategies. Much depends on how long you can store the product and get a better price or if you can transform it and get higher value from value addition. Quality and economies of scale are important. Crop rotation system impacts yield and income from year to year. So much to think about from an agroecology system but if you are considering human flourishing then yield and more importantly income are the main parameters. To further that you would think of income per hour and return on your investment of money. The knowledge gained from experimentation through comparative value has value, particularly if shared with others or used in the future resulting in higher income and less susceptibility to risk. There is a certain value to the human spirit and fulfillment from doing something that blesses others and that usually comes from teaching or sharing with others what you have learned.

Hi Marie- I see you mention TAPE which includes many indicators from X-Act and GLEAM toolboxes along with SHARP. SHARP has a lot of overlap with TAPE and can be helpful in measuring farmer and farm resilience: SHARP tool | Self-evaluation and Holistic Assessment of climate Resilience of farmers and Pastoralists (SHARP) | 联合国粮食及 农业组织

Hi Marie, have your worry be cleared?

1 Like

Hello Mr Ache thank you for the concern. Actually i came across some econometric methodologies to assess determinants of vulnerability and adaptation strategies. However my major challenge is understanding these econometrics models. I am still looking for an expert in the field of economics to help me with that. Once again thank you
Best regards

1 Like

Thank you Mr Abram. I am very grateful for this. However i am required to use livelihoods vulnerability index and econometric models for this study. Once again thank you
Best regards

Thank you Mr Dan. You just outline some of the indicators of these assessment. Its very important for my understanding of how adaptation works with smallholders. Once again thanks