Volunteer for USAID Farmer-to-Farmer Program (Global, Year-Round)

Hello everyone. I’m reaching out in regards to the USAID Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) program, formally known as the John Ogonowski and Doug Bereuter Farmer-to-Farmer Program. The program operates in nearly 40 countries, though I work specifically with the following ones: Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Moldova . This program provides short term technical assistance to farmers, cooperatives, agribusinesses, and related entities in participating countries. This assistance is provided by volunteers that are usually either US citizens or permanent residents (though this has changed slightly during the COVID-19 pandemic). Please feel free to explore the CNFA website, the program website, or reach out to me at f2frecruitment@cnfa [dot] org for more information. CNFA currently seeks volunteers from the US and the countries stated above. Other organizations may be seeking volunteers from other countries.

F2F has existed in in several iterations over 35 years. The program is sponsored by USAID and overseen by by 10 main organizations, which operate in different countries/regions. Staff in participating countries learn from agriculture professionals in their communities (hosts) about what type of assistance is needed. They develop projects for implementation, and expert volunteers are recruited to complete the program with the host. Volunteers do not receive a salary, but when travel is required, they typically receive travel coverage, health care, and a per diem stipend. Specifics may vary by program.

Pre-COVID, volunteers were mainly US citizens or permanent residents. Selected volunteers would typically travel to the host country for 2-3 weeks to provide hands on training with the host. In response to COVID-19, two new types of assignment models have emerged. In remote assignments , a US volunteer provides training directly to the host via online platforms like email, Skype, and Zoom. They typically meet 1-3 times per week, for 1-3 hours, over the course of 3-6 weeks. In paired assignments , two volunteers are involved: a US volunteers and a local volunteer from the host country. The two volunteers collaborate before the assignment to establish training materials and curriculum. The local volunteer leads in-person, hands-on training and provides progress updates to the US volunteer. Both then collaborate on final reporting. Paired assignment allow us to reach more remote and less accessible hosts; these assignments last 4-6 weeks.

Typical topics include vegetable/fruit production, legume production, food processing, agribusiness skills, leadership and organizational management, marketing and branding, integrated pest management, market access, and others. Assignments range in sophistication from basic to advanced skills. Volunteers usually have several years of professional experience or are nearing completion of an advanced degree. Many types of expertise and backgrounds are needed.

If you are interested in volunteering with this program through CNFA, it is best to send me an email at *f2frecruitment@cnfa [dot] org with a CV/resume to discuss further. Please peruse the sites linked above as well.

Remy Chappetta
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator
CNFA Farmer-to-Farmer Program

2 Likes

Dear Remy
Am interested in volunteer work but based in Malawi.so will send you my Resume

Interested . Will send résumé

Are any of these programs taking place in St Vincent and the Grenadines?