Prevention from wild pigs

Hi all,
I have reached out to the people group in Himalayas in Nepal.
They have been suffering huge loss in thier farm due to wild pigs. The hard work of 1 week was damaged in a single night.
I am looking for natural or technological prevention for wild pigs getting into Potatoes farm.
Killing or any wild animal is illegal in Nepal.
We set up the high wall, but pigs are digging from below and getting in.
Solutions and idea will be much appreciated and also help us to reachout or establishing relationship with this non believer community.
I am serving as missionary in my community and have been teaching people about backyard gardening and sharing them Christ.
Blessing
Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul!

This is a very important question and reminds me of a very old EDN (47) article about keeping elephants out of production areas. The two options that the article discussed were electric fence (which may likely be too expensive) and digging trenches! Farmers for a long time in Africa have kept hippos out of their gardens by digging trenches. The article suggests 4 foot wide by 4 foot deep trenches. I don’t know if this would work for pigs, but it might be worth a try on a small scale to test it.

ECHO North America successfully trains hogs on electric fences to keep them in areas that they want them to clear.

I know that ECHO Asia (@Jonathan_Ribich) has talked to farmers in the past about options for elephant control so they may have other ideas from the wider ECHO network!

Good Evening- I found this on DeepAI;
Wild pigs, also known as feral pigs or wild boars, can be a significant problem for gardeners, as they can damage crops and destroy garden infrastructure. While there are no guarantees, here are some natural repellents that can help deter wild pigs from entering your garden:

1. Hot Pepper Spray: Mix hot peppers (such as cayenne or jalapeno) with water and spray around the perimeter of your garden. The capsaicin in the peppers can irritate the pigs’ sensitive snouts and noses.
  2. Garlic Spray: Similar to hot pepper spray, garlic has natural insect-repelling properties that can also deter wild pigs. Mix minced garlic with water and spray around your garden.
  3. Mint Leaves: Wild pigs don’t like the strong scent of mint, so plant mint leaves around the perimeter of your garden. You can also place fresh mint leaves in areas where pigs are most likely to enter.
  4. Lavender: Lavender has a calming effect on humans, but it can be overwhelming for wild pigs. Plant lavender around your garden or use essential oils in a spray.
  5. Predator Urine: While it may sound unappealing, predator urine (such as coyote or fox urine) can be effective in deterring wild pigs. You can purchase predator urine at gardening stores or online.
  6. Ammonia: Wild pigs dislike the strong smell of ammonia, so you can spray it around the perimeter of your garden. However, be cautious when using ammonia, as it can be harmful to humans and pets if not handled properly.
  7. Citrus Peels: Wild pigs don’t like the strong scent of citrus fruits, so place citrus peels (such as lemon or orange) around your garden.
  8. Fencing: While not a repellent per se, fencing can be an effective way to keep wild pigs out of your garden. Consider installing a sturdy fence at least 6 feet high with openings no larger than 1 inch.
  9. Electric Fencing: Electric fencing can be an effective deterrent for wild pigs. You can install an electric fence around your garden or use portable electric fencing systems.
  10. Motion-Activated Sprinklers: These devices can startle wild pigs with sudden bursts of water when they enter your garden.

Remember to always follow local regulations and guidelines when using repellents, especially if you’re planning to use predator urine or ammonia. It’s also important to combine multiple repellents for optimal effectiveness, as single methods may not be enough to deter wild pigs entirely.

Hi Paul,
sorry to read about your problem with wild pigs.
i am farming in Italy and we have similar problems !

Small plots of land (vineyards), we manage to protect from entering the wild pigs with electric fencing, like the one, used for sheep or cattle on pasture. I have not understood how big the area is, which is concerned, but maybe you can give it a small scale trial with electric fencing. Good luck and best regards,
Ulrich

Electric fencing would probably be the most effective for pigs, and actually can be somewhat cheap. I would try a single strand of wire, about the same height of the pig’s noses from the ground. You don’t have to buy an expensive fence charger- just use on old car battery (an old battery too weak to start a vehicle will be enough). Ground the negative side well, maybe 2 or 3 pieces of rebar spaced about 10 feet apart, driven at least 6 feet deep. Hook the positive side to the fence wire. Be sure to recharge it every couple of weeks. For extra shock, get two batteries and wire them together (positive of one to negative of the other). Ground one side and hook up the other to the fence.
You could try this in conjunction with some of the sprays that Matt_Nichols mentioned, maybe between the two you’ll keep them out!

Could try training dogs to keep them out.